What is the difference between an HIDS and a firewall?
- An HIDS works like an IPS, whereas a firewall just monitors traffic.
- A firewall allows and denies traffic based on rules and an HIDS monitors network traffic.
- An HIDS monitors operating systems on host computers and processes file system activity. Firewalls allow or deny traffic between the computer and other systems.
- A firewall performs packet filtering and therefore is limited in effectiveness, whereas an HIDS blocks intrusions.
- An HIDS blocks intrusions, whereas a firewall filters them.
|Explanation & Hint:
In order to monitor local activity an HIDS should be implemented. Network activity monitors are concerned with traffic and not operating system activity.